Sunday, September 11, 2011

Netflix: a disruptive technology, being disrupted.

Netflix has the reputation of being the blockbuster killer. Netflix allows people to view movies and tv shows on demand or by dvd through the mail at any time through a monthly charge. This has said to be the killer of the brick a mortar video rental store. But how long will it last?

I am a former member of Netflix, for a few reasons. Mainly, I do not feel that it is worth the money for the selection they offer. Many of the movies on Netflix for immediate online viewing are very limited and somewhat dated. As an avid movie watcher, I normally like to see movies as soon as they are released on dvd, Netflix does not have the movies immediately, there is somewhat of a delay before they become available on the menu. This is somewhat frustrating in that they rarely had what i was wanting to watch.

Another main reason is the development of digital cable. I already pay a cable fee, and have Comcast on demand. On demand does more than Netflix ever did, and it conveniently is located right on my cable box, and attaches fees to my cable bill and offers many free programs. On demand technology through my digital cable box has killed my Netflix subscription. This is a perfect example of what i like to call the technology food chain. Netflix kills blockbuster, and soon I believe OnDemand will kill Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment